This page is one of several on this site about my novel The Ancestor Cell. They are all linked from this main blog post here.
I wrote this short article for the Online Ratings Guide, where it was first published in November 2000. You may even find answers to some of the questions elsewhere on my web site.
Top Ten Questions about The Ancestor Cell that people sent me
I have received more e-mail correspondence about The Ancestor Cell than about all the other Doctor Who stuff I’ve written combined. Most of the e-mail is very positive, and most notes also contain questions about the contents of the book, its writing, and the reaction to it since publication
Because I feel that my books should stand or fall on the published version, I’ve been reluctant to provide a kind of Cole’s Notes (aha… do you see what I did there?) for the book by answering specific questions. However, for your delectation and delight, and allowing for some conflation of similar ones, here is my list of “Top Ten Questions about The Ancestor Cell that people send to Peter Anghelides”.
10. When are you going to update your web site to include the book?
9. Who was the Enemy/Grandfather Paradox/Romana/Father Kreiner originally?
8. What do you think of Lawrence Miles’s review/interview/Interference/Alien Bodies/writing, and what has he told you personally about the book?
7. Where was K-9/ Leela/ Andred/ Rassilon/ Engin/ Eye of Harmony/ BabyDoc/ Looms/ Master/ Dark Tower/ Rassilon/ …?
6. Is the book’s plot impossible because it’s based on a paradox?
5. Your book’s wonderful/terrible/mediocre—how did it get commissioned?
4. Why did/didn’t you use/ripoff/avoid/traduce/obliterate Miles’s/ Platt’s/ Cornell’s/ Russell’s/ Parkin’s/ MIB’s/ CE3K’s/ STNG’s/ B5’s ideas for closing/ opening/ resolving/ avoiding/ confusing/ ignoring the arc instead of devising your own?
3. Which parts did Steve Cole write and which did you write?
2. I’ve written a Doctor Who novel—will you read it and tell me how to get it published?
And the number one question that I am asked about The Ancestor Cell…
1. Who survives?